Translate

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

The Days Leading Up...

Speculation about the flight began about point seven seconds after I sent in my Nefesh B'Nefesh application in April. My family and I came to the conclusion that only movies about Israel's history would be shown- Exodus, Entebbe (not the best flight to show on a plane, but our justification was "Lottie is making aliyah" which makes no sense, but at the same times makes so much sense) perhaps the new Yoni Netanyahu movie.
Of course champagne would be served. Air hostesses will be wearing Israeli flags, we would be allowed to fly the plane because we are making aliyah, and duh the meals would consist of falafel and chummus only. Which got me very stressed because I don't like falafal at all.
In May I had a meeting in the Jewish Agency office in New York City and was approved a week later to make aliyah!! The excitment quickly diminished when I read I can only bring two duffel bags on the flight. How will a pack my life into two duffel bags?! But I figured Israel is a small country and I need to downsize anyway so for the sake of Israels space limiations I generously gave 3 shirts to my sister Thankfully the summer clothes did fit. Don't fret, my winter clothes are being shipped over.
Fun fact- I am from Bergenfield not Teaneck (shh). It's true, Facebook doesn't lie. 
About a month before my aliyah charter flight I got an email from Nefesh B'Nefesh saying there will be a celebrity on my flight.  I was convinced it would be Madonna, you know having found her "Jewish kabbalah roots" obviously the next step for Esther would be aliyah. But no no, it was some chef who I had never even heard of. I was thinking maybe she will be hosting the cooking lessons on this blue and white clothing only flight. Yes, as the flight got closer the expectations got higher- you may not step on board without wearing blue and white.
About two weeks before the flight not only did I revert back to my nervous nail biting habits, but I recieved an email that Bibi Netanyahu would be greeting my flight. That only made me bite down to my cuticules. Now I needed to look good after a 12 hour flight full of plane flying, Entebbe, cooking lessons and more so I could look normal with my close up with the prime minister. I bet people making aliyah in the 1940's didn't have to go through this much anxiety.
My two duffels- Thanks Auntie Janie & Uncle Bobby
Choosing a plane outfit took a solid 3 hours and 18 minutes. I wanted to wear blue and white but I didn't want to be obvious about it, but then again according to my idea of what the flight would be like everyone would be wearing blue and white and I didn't want to be the anti Zionist charadi on board. I decided on a white maxi dress. Believe me, that will be the last time I will ever wear white on a plane. By some divine miracle that I will just never understand it didn't even get a speckle of dirt on it.
The night before I had my last Starbucks run with five of my best friends (one of whom was making aliyah with me, Nikki). When I got home I couldn't go to sleep. I blame the coffee because I was as cool as a cucumber (NOT). But nothing is ever my fault so we are going to stick with it was the coffee's fault.

Last night at Starbucks (yes, all my clothes were packed. I am guilty of outfit repeating. Not my choice, promise!)






1 comment:

  1. What would you say is the best alternative to Starbucks coffee in Israel?

    ReplyDelete