Translate

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

In The Last Five Minutes...

Usually I don't post breaking news, as they are happening events, but this one is just way too good to wait. Way too good.

If you didn't know there has been a strike in Bar Ilan conveniently since Sunday, the first day of school then stop saying "ohhh Lottie I love your blog ohhh ohhh" and actually read my blog. I may begin testing people on my life. Yes, my ego has been growing rapidly.

Anyways, this strike finally ended last night meaning my four month vacation has finally come to a close. I think I have covered everything there is to do over this vacation- spent more than enough time with my family, with my friends, casually moved countries, you know because everyone does that, learned the ABC's of Israeli bureaucracy, have apparently become more friendly (even though I see no change), slowly easing into this thing called Skype, and you know for someone that video chatting just isn't my thing (I can send a ten page paper as to why to whoever wants) this is a big deal. This vacation is slowly making me go insane from absolute boredom, maybe that's why I've been talking too much to people I normally don't talk to (JOKES. CALM DOWN).
Ok so great the strike is over and last night I looked at my Wednesday schedule. One class from 12-2 and then one from 2-4. Hazzah! The first day of school has finally arrived, even though it is coming to the end of October. It's not about the date or what month it falls on, it's about the occasion. Just pretend that made sense.
So as I am online choosing which lunchbox to buy, I have a little peak at what is going on in the Facebook world, because it is a proven fact that every 12 seconds something extraordinary is written or discovered and if I don't know about what some kid from camp 7 years ago wore two days ago no one will talk to me at the Friday night dinner table.
Something from one of these random Bar Ilan groups popped up that there is no class tomorrow from 12-2 because of some first day of school shindig. Like are you serious?! I just want to start already. I don't do bonding or let's all pretend we are so happy to be here and not counting down until these three years are up so we can move on.
But fine, one class cancelled, but I still have one more. Let's be positive.

All I have been waiting to do since I got here was to go up to my teacher and say "Hi! I just made aliyah. Heard that? I just made ALIYAH. I am a very important person and deserve all the help I can get from you, because if it wasn't for me this country would have a population of six million Jews and now they have a population of six million and one. So you might as well just give me an A in this course now so we can both get on with our lives."
And the good news is at 2 o'clock on Wednesday afternoon, my first day of school (finally! Yes, saying "finally" is always needed after I write "my first day of school") I get to say that.

Woke up this morning. The usual. Something about this morning though made me want to wear my contacts all of a sudden. You know, I wasn't in the mood to wear my glasses ( I figured I would need to for the first few weeks since I can't see building numbers) and hold a big map. I wanted to meet my future bridesmaids and that was not how I was planning on looking. Ok, so I spent a few minutes stabbing my eyes trying to get those stupid things in, but no no they don't budge.

I was on Jcrew.com looking for a cute idea for an outfit when I hear a little ding a ling on my iPhone (which by the way the speakers aren't working too well so if anyone knows how I can fix that I will pay you in potato chips. I have a lot of bags of potato chips for whatever reason), checked my phone and low and behold I get an email from my teacher who I have today at 2.
I thought he was going to say "Dear class, I am so excited to meet you and to learn with you and don't bother eating lunch today. Sushi on me!" or "Dear Lottie, you are the reason this country is still able to function. Here are all the tests I will be giving and here are all the answers. Our little secret."
I opened the email with pretty high hopes. The subject was "ain shiur hayom". Gosh, this teacher is not only giving me sushi for lunch but he's funny too! This is going to be a great year.

I read the email. Understood it, but thought I was losing my mind and put it into GT (remember, me and GT are on nickname basis). And yes, for once in my life I did understand it.

" Even though the strike is over, I won't be teaching until next week. See you then."

LIKE WHAT IN HEAVEN'S NAME GIVES HIM THE RIGHT TO DO THAT?!

You can't get what you want from the strike and then casually just take a vacation day. You just can't!
I think tomorrow I will just send the world an email and say "I know I am meant to be in college, but I am just no longer in the mood and I am taking a 7 month and 3 day vacation to Timbuktu."

As my brother Massye put it, "you will be diploma-less at 30." The odds of that are very much in his favor.

Ok, off to Jerusalem for the day. First day of school tomorrow. I think. I hope. I pray. That's all I can do at this point.

And I am not one for surprises.

No comments:

Post a Comment